Everett New Teachers
The Speed of Normalcy
List the communication tools you use personally every day to work and live?
List the communication tools you use for your school communication?
What are the overlaps and where might you need to rethink your communication strategy?
Generational Communication Channels:
65+ = Phone, Facebook
35-65 = Email, Facebook, phone
20-35 = Text, Facebook, Email, phone
10-20 = SnapChat for close friends, Instagram for community, text for parents, facebook for public
Information Landscape Today: Search
- Eric Schmidt
- Wikipedia vs Textbooks
- Is Google making us feel smarter?
- Let’s Search
- A Google A Day
- Domain Extensions by Country
- Newspaper Archives
Math and Science
- Wolfram Alpha
- Wolfram Alpha for Educators
- Google Apps for Science and Math Teachers
- Ratio/Percentage Spreadsheet (GSheet) (Excel)
Information Landscape Today: Wikipedia
- Use the Talk Page
- Wikipedia’s Good Article criteria
- Wikipedia’s Quality Scale
- Wikipedia pops up in bibliographies, and even college curricula
- Wikipedia better than a history textbook
- Is Wikipedia Really Such a Bad Research Tool for Students?
- Wikipedia is arguably subject to more rigorous review practices than are many scholarly publications.
- Wikipedia Infographic
- WikiWand: Making Wiki more visually appealing
- Wikipedia real time edits
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Getting students started with Wikipedia
Using Video with Students
Flipgrid.com – 90 second videos for reflections, feedback and ?????
Adobe Spark – Let’s get creative!
- User Percentage by Age
- 18-24 – 11%
- 25-34 – 23%
- 35-44 – 26%
- 45-54 – 16%
- 50-64 – 8%
- 65+ – 3%
- unknown age – 14%
Go Live on YouTube (click on image to enlarge)